Tuesday 26 February 2008

So, what did you think of my...?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have no issue with that.

That is, however, until their opinion is on something I've done, or said, or written. I am of course talking about criticism. It's something that has cropped up several times in recent weeks.

I'm one of those people who likes criticism... kind of. [Please don't take this as an open invitation to flood my inbox with comments destroying my character or suggestions of things you think I could do better!]

I was chatting to a friend, who agrees with my logic, that criticism can be a great way of improving yourself. But it's a very vulnerable place to be. To put yourself out in the firing line is scary. To open yourself up to someone to potentially tear your hard work to shreds takes courage and trust in the critic.

It guess it's that trust element that is crucial for a criticism to be positive and not a character assassination. If you are sure that the critic is genuinely looking out for your best interests you are more likely to take their criticism well. If there is doubt, the criticism could be taken more as a personal attack rather than a judgement of your work.

Having said that, hearing negative feedback, however well-meaning or even accurate it may be, tends to leave be on the backfoot. I get defensive. I start trying to justify my actions in light of this new found opposition. Especially if it's something I'm particularly passionate about. "Perhaps you could have done such-and-such better" or "maybe approaching this-or-that aspect in a different way next time" leads me to thinking "do you realise just how much work I've put into this?!" or "But that's me, that's my style! Are you asking me to fundementally change who I am?!".

But on reflection, when the heat of the moment has cooled, I revisit those comments, and yes they still sting from time to time, but there is truth and wisdom and advice hidden behind those critiques. And often there is wisdom is taken that advice on board.

I don't know the answer to every question. I am not the best preacher, author, songwriter, musician, worship leader, youth worker, friend even. I would do well to take criticism on board. I recognise that the more I take people's advice, the better the version of me I become. I don't take on every characteristic people may demand of me, that's just silly, no-one can be everything everyone wants them to be. But my character, my personality, my skills and talents and gifts can be sharpened, refined, perfected, generally made better by learning from others obversations on what I do well and what, quite frankly, I completely mess up!

"Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice."

No comments: