Thursday 10 December 2009

2010 starts... NOW!

There are only twenty-one days left of this decade. There is much talk about the legacy the 'noughties' will leave behind; a world scarred by 9/11, a culture infatuated with reality TV, a decade that saw the launch of Facebook and Twitter and the explosion of social networking. There is also speculation about what the next decade of this century will bring; what will it be like? what will it be called?

Soon, the 6.8billion people who currently live on this little blue planet will welcome in the year 2010, and a large majority of them will be making the traditional New Year's Resolution; those personal goals to quit this, start that, spend less, exercise more, go here, be different.

And so I got to thinking what my New Year's Resolution would be and I've decided to be a Dipstick.

I want to be more Disciplined with time and work and Sabbath.
I want to be more Intentional. To do the things that need doing; not be distracted or just faff around.
I want to be Present. To give people the time and attention that they deserve. To be in the room and focused when I'm talking with people and not thinking about something else.
I want to be Spirit-Filled. I need the Holy Spirit. I don't want to try and do life in my own strength. I don't want to let myself run dry.
I want to be Thankful. To recognise more often the support of those around me and to acknowledge it more intentionally.
I want to be Inter-dependant. "I can't do this all on my own. No I know, I'm no superman". I want to invest more time and life in relationships and team.
I want to be Christ-Centred. After all, He is the one I'm living for. I want to keep Jesus central to everything I do.
I want to be Kat's. Kat and I get married on 18th Sept 2010. I want to be the best partner I can possibly be for her; support her, challenge her, surprise her and love her.

2010 is the year of the Dipstick. I want to be foolish in the eyes of the world as I live out my faith the best I can. And so, somewhat foolishly, I'm starting my New Years Resolution now! On 10th December 2009 (at about 4am!), with 21 days of this decade to spare, I'm starting as I mean to go on... As a DIPSTICK!

Happy New Year everybody!

No comments: