Thursday 15 May 2008

Born 55 years too late...

I'm quite the daydreamer. And so yesterday -14th May 2008, which marked the 10 year anniversary of the death of Frank Sinatra- in one of my daydreaming moments, I wondered what my life would've been like if I hadn't been born in England in 1983. I decided I would love to have been born in New York in the late 1920's.

Born in 1928, [55 years earlier] growing up in a working class family but dreaming of a life in the golden age of showbusiness; working my way through the smoky saloons and bars singing the, now classic, jazz standards. Moving to the bright lights of Vegas and on to LA to make my name as the youngest member of the Rat Pack, performing huge big band numbers with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jnr.

Spend my career singing 'Mack the Knife', 'Mr Bojangles' or 'My Way' and starring alongside the rest of the Rat Pack fellas in the original Ocean's 11 movie. And whilst filming, maybe, just maybe, catch the eye of a beautiful, classy, darling young actress named Audrey - who was in town filming her new movie Breakfast at Tiffany's - and live happily ever after in Hollywood's Hall of Fame...

Of course, all those great stars are gone now, and if I had lived then I'd be nothing more than a name and a legacy now - which would be a shame, cos I would never have had the chance to meet the amazing people I've met along my life so far.

Daydreaming aside, I'd choose 1983 over 1928 any day.

No comments: